Sign up for our mailing list.
Urban Solutions is a vibrant economic development non-profit dedicated to neighborhood development, primarily in San Francisco, by supporting and growing small businesses. We have a compelling vision, strong team, great reputation in the community and passion for achieving our mission — and we are seeking people who believe in helping micro-entrepreneurs, small businesses and neighborhoods thrive and are able to communicate that mission to others. See www.urbansolutionsSF.org.
This position calls for an energetic, organized fundraising professional with a background in marketing and communications. The organization's 2014-15 budget is expected to be nearly $1 million, with 30% to be raised from contributions income, which needs to be nurtured and grown. Position reports to the Executive Director and we encourage applicants who want to grow and develop the role to increasing responsibility and scope. Start date: August 1, 2014.
Fundraising Responsibilities (85%)
- Work with Executive Director to strategize and meet annual fund development goals
- Work closely with Executive Director to improve fundraising outreach and management systems to build relations with select donors and supporters, including banks and corporations, foundations and individuals committed to our mission
- Manage and write grant proposals, grant reports and correspondence to funders, and annual appeal requests, including government agencies, foundations and corporations in both document and on-line form
- Develop annual income forecasts and fundraising calendar
- Initiate meetings with and cultivate relationships with prospective funders
- Conduct prospect research
- Plan and execute fundraising events, in a team with the Events Committee
- Attend events (both daytime and evening) to network with potential donors and community members
- Strategize to position organization for new funding opportunities
- Supervise support staff and contractors to maintain fundraising database, grant proposal and reporting pipeline, ensure deadlines are met and timely acknowledgments are sent
Communications / Marketing Responsibilities (15%)
- In coordination with Executive Director and Marketing Task Force, redesign website and oversee updates and edits
- Raise the bar on our communications and reporting to better convey the impact of work to the community
- Manage monthly newsletter and social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Write press releases, pitch stories to journalists and maintain media list
- Manage contractors in production of marketing collateral
- Advise Executive Director on strategy and messaging
- Secure key staff members speaking engagements at local, regional and national forums, events and conferences
- Oversee marketing of all Urban Solutions' events and workshops
- Oversee outreach efforts and manage staffing tables at events
- Minimum five years of professional experience in fundraising and marketing management
- Bachelor's degree required
- High energy and enthusiasm for fundraising and building a strong Urban Solutions brand
- Strong writing ability
- Very strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of outcomes evaluation processes
- Commitment to working with low-income communities and diverse populations
- Experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other customer relationship software
- Strong community ties a plus
Competitive salary ($50,000+ depending on qualifications), full benefits, vacation time.
Interested candidates should send (1) your resume, (2) a meaningful cover letter stating your salary requirements, and (3) a writing sample (preferably a proposal) to info@urbansolutionsSF.org. Please name the subject of your email "Development and Communications Director Position" and include the resume, cover letter and writing sample as separate attachments, not in the body of your email.
Urban Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Urban Solutions does not discriminate on the basis of disability and is committed to the full participation of persons with disabilities in our programs, services, and activities and on our work force.